Spots on my roosters comb, what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by celestecakes78, Feb 27, 2017.

1. celestecakes78

celestecakes78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2015
    Fairfield
    [​IMG] this is a decent picture of my roosters face. I noticed this started in the fall and has stuck around since. He is active, eats and drinks great and has no other symptoms other than this stuff on his comb and wattle. It almost looks like dried mud. He has no problems breathing no discharge from his nose. I've looked up avian pox but these arent sores or blisters at all. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?

2. Poultry4Life

Poultry4Life Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2017
    It's frostbitten, it's common on roosters with large combs.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Those marks can be a sign of pecking. Do you have other roosters who may be pecking him? They should heal in a few weeks or months. I have kept more than one rooster in my flock, and this has happened. The areas can change color as they heal.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Looks like frostbite blistering to me. How cold has it been? What is your humidity? Coop ventilation? Have you been trying to heat your coops?

5. celestecakes78

celestecakes78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2015
    Fairfield
    I don't think it's frostbite although it does look like that from the pics. Im in southern CT and our winter here has been pretty unusual. This is the first year I haven't heated the coops because our temps haven't gone that low all winter. Good ventilation and all that.

6. horsewoman54

horsewoman54 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Looks like frostbite. Mine get it too. I have a huge Buff Orpington with a thick comb. Everytime it gets in the twenties here in Utah, I seem to see spots. It goes away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by