Spotted a red fox yesterday--ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Summer98, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Yesterday a red fox was chasing my cat and the cat dove through our electric fence and the fox stopped and stared right at me in broad daylight! I'm not sure if the fox stopped because he couldn't make it through the electric fence or he stopped because he saw me? Now I am very concerned for my free range chickens. I'm not sure if the electric fence would truly keep him out. My cats are small enough they just go through the spaces without touching the wires. Will a fox eat an entire flock? Will a fox eat sheep? I'm scared. Should I get some guineas? A llama, a donkey? What? We were so surprised to see a fox in daylight hours and so close to me. He was truly going to get my cat.

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I had a fox chase a chicken across my yard in broad daylight. I popped out the back door and screamed my head off. The chicken went in one direction and the fox in another. I haven't seen the fox since. That was last summer.

3. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Foxes are chicken predators so you do have cause for concern. Here is a very good link to information re: various predators, including fox:

http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-predators.html

As for seeing one in daylight, my parents had a female fox and her kits living in their Denver suburb several years ago. My parents and the neighbors would see them frequently in the day time.

4. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    If the Fox gets through the fence I think if giving the chance he will kill an entire flock. I don't think a single Fox can kill a healthy sheep imo. If possible maybe u could try live trapping that little fox

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Live trap the little scumbag or

S-S-S
    Shoot-Shovel-Shut Up

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by