Spotted egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jklyles1, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I leave my eggs out on the counter and the Blue Hamburg eggs become spotted after a couple days. Does this mean anything? Are they still safe to eat?

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That looks like a porous egg to me (the one on the right is the one in question I assume?). Its normal, just don't wash them until just before you use them. When they're porous they're more likely to pull bacteria and such thru the shell, but if left unwashed the bloom will prevent that from happening.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    thank you for the reply! I dont wash my eggs..just set them out on the counter. I was hoping it was OK because i only have 4 hens laying right now!!!

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I agree with howfunkyisyourchicken about the egg being porous. I would recommend that your girls have free access to oyster shell to make sure they are getting enough calcium (I assume they are on a layer ration with supplemental calcium already in the mix--if not then for sure get layer feed).

5. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I give them oyster shell, layer, and i crush up the egg shells very finely and give that also. The eggs become spotted like that after 3-4 days sitting on the counter. Weird!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    With my porous eggs, the shells are nice and thick. All eggs have pores, some just more then others. The pores are there when they're laid, you just can't see them at first.
    If you shine a flashlight into the egg right after its been laid, you'd be able to see them, just not when they're fresh. I incubate alot, so this is something I check for. Porous eggs don't tend to hatch since they absorb bacteria (especially in a humid environment like a bator). I've had them explode like a bomb while incubating- yuck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by