Spotted Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickiKat, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I got my first spotted eggs today. What lays spotted eggs??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

My chooks sometimes toww out a spotted egg, its like the pigment layer right before the eggs is laid just goes on a little thicker than usual. No biggie.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I started getting those this week too, and yours look like mine, the spots are almost purple looking. Weird alien chickens.

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Both my Production Reds and Barred Rocks lay those on occasion. I have found that when I rinse them off, if I scratch at them, they come right off. I'm thinking mine come from the tract inside, just spots of stuff that stick to the egg on it's way out. It'd be cool, though to have large polka dots on them... yep... bet these city slickers would pay good for polka dotted eggs..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most brown layers do, from time to time.

If the jets get just a little clogged in the spray paint booth, this is what you get. Quality Control send them on through anyhow, because the inside meets spec, apparently.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My RIR and 2 EE's will sometimes lay spotted eggs. I have no idea why, but I think they are neat.

8. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    My EE lays green so maybe it is my RIR. Getting her little ink jets clogged...[​IMG]

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    All my girls will throw spots periodically. White spots seem to come primarily from the Wyandottes; the Wellies, while they normally lay uniform dark eggs will sometimes throw a heavily speckled one, or, even more fun, a "pinto" egg. The Java, before I ate her, laid a darkly-speckled egg.

I love them that way; brings even more color to the egg carton.

10. reneemellor

reneemellor Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    I got one that looked just like that yesterday from one of my Buff Orp girls. I think they're cool looking. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by