Spotting my first American Bald Eagle in the wild...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kareninthesun, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Yesterday on the drive home, just on the outskirts of the desert, into the greener hills, not far from the mountains, I spotted what I at first thought was one big lost crow. It circled closer to the road, directly in front of the sun, making it hard to see even while squinting. As it dipped lower, it bent its head down, and the colors were easy to see, it's head white as snow, even its beak and talons. Beautiful!!!! I can't imagine many years ago when so many were flying free....must have been one awesome sight....

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    We have a pair that nests in the same tree in the cow pasture every year. Beautiful birds.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They are truly majestic

Imp

4. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    I'll stop what I'm doing to watch one fly over, the girls let me know.
    I saw one get a fish from the river ( I was in a boat) Truly awesome.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Wish I lived in Bald Eagle country...

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I saw my first just a few years back.......Ohio does have a large number of nesting bald eagle, they like large body of water. Fish and few ducks, their main diet. A pr nest not far from my place

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Seeing an Eagle soar is an inspiring sight indeed. I remember when I was a kid my mother used to take me to Bay Pines Veteran Hospital where they had a protected Eagle nesting site. I returned every year for years and watched the nest grow. It's been many years since I've seen an Eagle soar. Lucky you!

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    That is so awesome. Have you seen the Eagle nest cam on WVEC? If not in Jan or Feb they turn the camera on. The mother eagle from last year was killed by a plane. It was really sad. But the father Eagle has a new woman for this year. Hope you can watch it and enjoy. It is awesome

9. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Cool! Wish I could see one...

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    This summer, in Alaska, we were picnicing on the beach. The boys were doing catch and release fishing of ugly fish. They had the wonderful experience of seeing an eagle swoop down and carry off one of the recently released fish. The bird was about 20 feet from the boys. Very cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by