Spotty the hen has a nasty eye ! Help!! Thank you!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherlovesherBirds, Apr 23, 2019.

1. HeatherlovesherBirds

HeatherlovesherBirds Chirping

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    Hi everyone I have spotty here with a nasty eye. I have had her for 5 years her sister just died last week do to sour crop and internal laying. spotty has had this eye problem for at least a week she has no other symptoms no wheezing no coughing she eats fine. I have 35 other birds and none of them are showing any symptoms of any kind. Her eye is swollen completely around and has this white puss looking stuff in corner of eye. I live in Maine and it's been raining for 4 or 5 days and it supposed to rain for for five more the temperature stays around 40 to 50 right now probably dropping down into the upper thirties at night. I have separated her because they are now ripping her feather's out by sandwich baggies full. her other eye is perfectly normal it's just that one eye no sneezing, no coughing, no wheezing. It just seems to be that eye.. I will attach a picture of her good eye first and then a bunch of her bad eye. Thank you advance for your response!

2. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    Her good eye!

Attached Files:

3. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    You've done good to separate her I think. Here's what I would try if it was my hen (last resort would be a vet, but I think these steps could help without one):

- Make sure the hen is good and clean so the infected eye doesn't get cross-contaminated and stays as sterile as possible.

- Get some raw manuka honey (check a health food store) and mix half and half with distilled water. Drip the honey water solution into the infected eye 2-3 drops 2-3 times a day. You probably need to clean the eye first to make sure there's no crust or anything that will impede the solution from entering the eye directly.

- Feed the hen plain yogurt with thyme and oregano. Give her some scrambled eggs with some garlic mixed in.

- Keep the eye gently cleaned multiple times a day with a damp warm piece of gauze or something very soft. Be gentle, the eye is delicate and probably painful.

Here's how to administer dosage of baby aspirin for pain, if you want to try that:

4. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    Her bad eye last night :(

Attached Files:

5. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    Her bad eye this morning

Attached Files:

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She has an eye infection.
    Flush the eye with saline, remove any pus that you see an apply an opthalmic ointment like Terramycin - do this a couple of times a day.

Since the others are ripping her feathers out, you may want to check her over very well for lice/mites. Does she still lay eggs? Give her a check up to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and feel her abdomen for swelling/bloat.

[​IMG]

7. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Can you get this stuff over the counter, or is it by prescription only?

HeatherlovesherBirds likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You should be able to find it at stores like Tractor Supply. They may have it in the locked case and you have to ask for it, it's a small tube.
    You can also order it online through places like ebay, amazon, jeffers pet or jedds bird supply.

9. HeatherlovesherBirds

Mar 22, 2019
    Maine
    You can get it at tractor supply over the counter.

danceswithronin likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: