Spraddle hobble not helping! Now with photos... Still would like some advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eksterhuis, Feb 8, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    I have bandaid hobbled my day old silver campine chick but her spraddle seems to be front a back rather then legs out sideways she she just flops onto her side or backwards to the side even while bandaid hobbled... It's like she needs some kind of brace to keep her upright.

Does anyone have experience of this or ideas/photos of how to brace this?

I would like to try saving her rather than culling her at such a young age! She seems to have very little lower body strength and even though is 24 hours old (just been out of the bater 2 hours) one side is still drying due to her lying on her side!

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    The poor thing is fine sitting for a bit but then just falls and can't get back up at all once she's fallen over!

Also have a chick with what looks like a swollen belly button, and a rather tender looking tummy... I'm guessing it's not fully absorbed it's egg yoke, she seems very weak, but then is only a day old!

I think I may have had the humidity a bit high for my hatch (my first incubator hatch) which hasn't helped all my poor chicks!!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Try putting the one that can't walk/stand in a chair sling, then tape her legs in the right position...the other one needs time to absorb the sac if it can.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
  5. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    I've made a little sling for my poor chick, she can reach food/water, I hope it helps her... How long will she need in the sling?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    You were quite creative! What a cute little chick too!

The only thing I read was that if she falls asleep with her face in the water she could drown. It seems you do have a nice shallow dish of water which is a great idea to help prevent this. I am rooting for you and your little chick. [​IMG]

7. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Poor thing wasn't taken too well to the swing so have tried without, not looking good, but will give her a few more days. I was ready to cull her but my boyfriend is trying to nurse her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by