Spraddle Leg and Curled Feet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hepzabeth, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Hepzabeth

Hepzabeth In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2018
    First time looking after new chicks and I guess we already failed on the correct bedding. We were using puppy pads and a sprinkle of pine shavings and as a result we noticed a chick just sitting unable to walk in the brooder. The legs look both quite far apart from each other and it’s toes have curled. I’ve read all the posts here about spraddle leg and curled foot but I wonder if in our case it’s unfixable.... I have used a thick rubber band with straw in the centre to hold the legs together, I’ve then used a fabric tape (chick foot sandwhich) to flatten the curled toes. It’s only been an hour but the chick is making a lot of noise and it’s still using the wing to walk on and the chick isn’t really walking but has the feet not neatly under but off at awkward angles.... will this method help correct in time or do you think it’s something worse then sparked feet.

I’ve placed a little segment of a Vb tablet in the water and added more pine shavings to the brooder.

2. Hepzabeth

Hepzabeth In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2018
    The chicks current position is sleeping on its side with legs both to the left.

3. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    It can take a few days to more than a week, depending on severity.

4. Hepzabeth

Hepzabeth In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2018
    It’s only been hours.... I guess I need to give it more patience

dunnmom likes this.
  5. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Can you tell how bad it is? Do you have any pictures of the chick before you put on the hobble and taped it’s feet? Oh, and is the chick able to eat and drink with or without assistance?

6. Hepzabeth

Hepzabeth In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2018
    The chick can’t eat or drink by itself! Here are some pictures before and after the brace. :) thank you for the help!

Attached Files:

7. Hepzabeth

Hepzabeth In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2018
    The chick almost wants to sit ba k onto is bum poor thing.

8. VKatusha

VKatusha Hatching

Apr 28, 2018
    Bluffton, SC
    I have the same situation with my 1 month old chick more then 1week. She is on antibiotics prescribed by veterinarian. We thought it’s mycoplasma or even Marek’s. Still the same. She is walking on her knees, had a bald spots on knees and wings. But she is eating and drinking. I saparated her from other chickens. I love her and want to help. But my love and good taking care of doesn’t help. Anybody with suggestions? Please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: