Spraddle Leg and Pasty Butt Chick

LizFB

Chirping
Mar 27, 2021
Dear BYC Community, I've been keeping chickens for just over a year, so quite new to it. I had 3 of my hens from 2 weeks old. Long story short but one of our hens was sat on 8 fertilised eggs, was doing a bad job of it and one of the eggs was kicked out of the nest and I found it stone cold, candled it and couldn't see through it but had no movement or veins and this was at 20 days, but with little hope, I just popped it in the incubator rather than putting it back with the other eggs, at day 25 had no chicks soon, at day 26 on 16th March the egg in the incubator started to chirp and within 30 mins out popped a beautiful baby silkie chick, all looked fine once dried moved to the brooder, I had sorted my brooder to the best I could but one of my kids came along and messed around with the brooder trying to make the chick more comfortable and moved some of the grip flooring which caused the chick to slip and legs went out, doing some researching was looking at spraddle leg, I taped the chicks legs like I've seen on the internet and the chick improved after about 3 days, the chick could stand, but then noticed it having trouble again and one of its legs is twisted round off the wrong way going outwards, I've been trying to retape, as well as creating one of those band with straw things but nothing seams to be working, eventually got some vet tape and now trying with this. I've taped the chick up again but with the tape on it keeps nose-diving and can't get back up without my help. I'm ensuring the chick gets to water and food but as I've not treated this before I want to check I'm doing things correctly, I'm also worried that we are now maybe getting to late to treat as the baby chick is now 11 days old. Even with the tape on the leg isn't completely in the correct position, but when I tape it, the leg just keeps moving out, its in a better position than it was but just not in the right position it needs to be in. Really sorry for the long write up but wanted to make sure you had all information to be able to help me ensure this little baby survives, than you for your time. I'm keeping on top of the pasty butt as also checked what to do online and been checking this daily and treating. Also finally today the vitamins for chicks arrived, so started the chick on these today, as added to its water

Attachments

• image0 (11).jpeg
    image0 (11).jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image1 (4).jpeg
    image1 (4).jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 26
Hi Thank you for your response. I'm not sure you get the full idea in these photos at how the leg is to one side, as this is with the chick taped up, didn't want to untape her this evening, as only added more tape a few hours ago. I've also added a photo of how the chick now lays down and will fall asleep like this due to let being taped, is it safe for the chick to be like this?

Can you post photos of the rotated leg? From your description, it sounds like it may be a varus/valgus deformity (this site's info is specific to broilers, but I've seen it in other types) but pics would help.
I've taken the tape off before going to bed, as the chick couldn't really move with it on and I'm worried about it not being able to move when i'm asleep and not able to check on it. I've taken some photos so you can see what its like when it tries to stand with one leg normal and the other going out to the side

Attachments

• image0 (13).jpeg
    image0 (13).jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image2 (3).jpeg
    image2 (3).jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image1 (5).jpeg
    image1 (5).jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 24
From what I can see, it does look like it may be an unusual rotation (45 degree?) - something that treating as splay leg may not correct. Nonetheless, I would try to treat as a splay leg and see if it improves. If it's truly a varus/valgus issue, it really requires surgical intervention to address.

I've tried to treat a varus/valgus issue in the past and have not had a good outcome, so I wish you better fortune with your chick. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom