Spraddle leg and wry neck?

NicoleM1020

Hatching
Aug 18, 2016
I hatched chicks 12 days ago. They are all happy and healthy except for one that I could tell immediately that it was having trouble walking as soon as it came out of the egg. This being my first hatch, I didn't know what to do and waited about 24 hours before putting a band aid on its legs thinking it was spraddle leg. The chick kind of sticks out one of his legs to the side and tries to balance on his toes but usually just ends up rolling over on it's side. I didn't really like the Band-Aid treatment so I made a another brace out of a rubber band and straw later that night. That really didn't work either as it was rolling up and down the chicks legs and didn't seem to be helping. I then made another brace out of vet wrap which seemed to be holding his legs together the best but every couple of days I take it off and there hasn't seemed to be any improvement. A few nights ago I noticed his head was turned the side and started thinking that it could be wry neck. I don't know if his head is turning to the side because he's been flopping around the brooder on his side or maybe its another issue altogether. Has anyone seen spraddle leg and wry neck at the same time? If it is wry neck, could it just be throwing off his balance and maybe there's nothing wrong with his legs? I have been researching wry neck and just started the vitamin e, selenium, vitamin b treatment in hopes that whatever it is, is being caused by a vitamin deficiency. Any ideas on what else it could be or what else I can do? He has a great appetite but is still much smaller than his hatch mates.

Back
Top Bottom