Spraddle leg as an adult?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jakmallex, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I have a white silkie that developed normally as a chick, but I noticed today he was limping a little. One hock is larger than the other and is actually causing his leg to spraddle out to the side when he walks. It doesn't seem to be painful and he has full range of motion in that leg, the alignment just isn't right. The joint does seem considerably larger than the other leg, but it doesn't appear to be larger from swelling.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Spraddle leg is a problem with young chicks.

Your guy may have an injury or some sort of random inflamation.

If it was my bird, I'd just watch closely and as long as it's not getting picked on, and is able to get around OK then I'd leave it alone.

If the limping became really bad, the other birds start picking on this one, OR it got bad so the bird couldn't get around OK, then I'd isolate...

Anyone else?

3. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    No one is picking on him and he can walk...just with a limp. It's too bad b/c he was the rooster I was going to keep out of the 3 that I have and now I don't feel right about breeding him since I don't know what is wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by