Spraddle leg chick standing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilling in muscadine, Sep 4, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I have a two day old spraddle leg chick, affecting one leg. I did the search on the forum and have followed everything to a tee. This is day two and the chick is standing some. The problem is it's head is drooping lower than it's suppose too. The chick is much stronger today. I am getting the baby out every two hour's and doing therapy with it. I'm assisting the baby to stand. Is there anything I need to be doing to help the chick get it's head higher?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Is the chick eating well? Sorry I never heard of that with spraddle leg.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    That's great news the chic is standing.
    Are you giving it a few drops of baby vitamins ?
    I've used the band aid method with great results.I put marbles in the water,to prevent drowning. On the floor, I use shelf liner & them take some towels & roll them up around the side of the brooder for support.It helps them balence & easier to get around.
    I'm not sure what else to tell you about the chics head problem. [​IMG]

4. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    The chick is eating well. I am doing the poly-vi-sol without iron, the band-aid method, shelf paper and marble's already. I'll try the rolled up towel's though and keep doing our little physical therapy. If the little one make's it we will have a strong bond between us. My other chick's must feel like the middle child. This isn't funny but when the chick stand's it will do a few nose dive's before it get's righted and I have a perfect view of a fuzzy butt. Thank's ya'll [​IMG]

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Good luck, it's hard to watch them struggle with a band aid on. Let us know how the little one is doing. [​IMG]

6. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I was just wondering how long I should keep the band-aid on my little spraddle leg chick. I named it, well let's just say her "Spriddle spraddle." She brighten's up when I come into the room. Talk about getting a warm spot in my heart. I'm still working with her everyday, every couple of hour's. She stand's very well but she doesn't hold her body up as high as she should. This concern's me. I'm wondering if there is anything else wrong and I've made it worse for helping her to live. She can eat and drink good but will she be able to have a good life if she never hold's her body upright?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by