Spraddle Leg in Day Old Rhodebar

MsFormel

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 21, 2014
My 14th fluffball has spraddle leg, I think. I can't tell if there's also a curled toe issue. I have the bandaid hobbler on, and the legs were less splayed when I changed the hobble about an hour ago (hobbled since 8:30 AM this morning). But I'd really like some feedback - can anyone confirm that this looks like spraddle leg? Is the hobbler on correctly? I can get the chick to eat out of my hand and drink some water if I hold it near the marble-filled water bowl, so I'm not giving up hope!

Further investigation made it seem like tendonitis, so the legs are now "taped" with a bandaid at each joint, as well as the hobbler to correct the stance. Poor little chick has what seems awfully close to bone exposure on on leg, I think from being splayed at hatch and then some brooder buddies being brooder bullies. He's in his own brooder now.

Wish I had thought of a bandaid. I culled one here while back because I couldn't correct the spraddled leg problem. I used a pony tail holder.

Last edited:
I noticed that my little chick still wasn't showing any improvement at all, even after most of the day in the hobbler. So I read some more and saw poultry pedia podiatry's info about tendinitis.I could feel the tendon snap into place on both legs. It took a few tries, but I was able to get bandaid wraps on the leg to hold it in place, plus a hobbler. This morning the tendons seem to be staying put, but the legs are still splayed. The chick can kind of stand, which is an improvement! The hobbler is back on, still in isolation, but I am still hopeful. Oh, also taking food and water still when offered.

Back
Top Bottom