spraddle leg or something else? update entry #8

what was i thinking

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
cny ny
it is my understanding that spraddle leg is when they go out to the sides. does that also include when they won't stand up at all. always on there knees. i had one come out of the hatcher. with the skin open on its knees from trying to crawl around. i tried the taping method, but he never stands up.
i was just wondering if that fell under spraddle leg or something else?

Last edited:
i had his legs taped for about four days. now i just have some bandage on the knees to prevent more damage and try to get it to heal. almost time to make the decision..... he is growing so i know he is getting food. i make sure he gets water several times a day.

i had to cull baby chick today. wasn't getting better. wouldn't straigten legs. went to change bandages on knees, much worse underneath.
i am sickened over doing it. can't stop thinking about it. don't think farming is for me.

For every one you lose there are hundreds more waiting to warm your heart and give you eggs.
hugs.gif

Hey, you did the right thing for that baby. It wouldn't have been able to survive like that. You be proud that you were able to take care of it as quick as you did and it didn't have to suffer a slow and painful death. So sorry for your loss. I know its hard, I have had almost the exact same experience. Hang in there...your other chicks need you!
~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom