spraddle leg or something else? update entry #8

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by what was i thinking, Dec 14, 2008.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    it is my understanding that spraddle leg is when they go out to the sides. does that also include when they won't stand up at all. always on there knees. i had one come out of the hatcher. with the skin open on its knees from trying to crawl around. i tried the taping method, but he never stands up.
    i was just wondering if that fell under spraddle leg or something else?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never heard of that.... Did you tape the knees? I wonder if posting this in the injuries section may get more answers.....

3. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i had his legs taped for about four days. now i just have some bandage on the knees to prevent more damage and try to get it to heal. almost time to make the decision..... he is growing so i know he is getting food. i make sure he gets water several times a day.

4. debilorrah

Did it stand on it's own with the tape....?

5. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    nope sure doesn't. i have just been putting it off. waiting for some miracle.

6. debilorrah

Still not walking... that is not a good sign of survival. It will probably expire on it's own soon. does it seem to be in distress at all?

7. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    nope. is never in the same spot i seen it before.

8. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i had to cull baby chick today. wasn't getting better. wouldn't straigten legs. went to change bandages on knees, much worse underneath.
    i am sickened over doing it. can't stop thinking about it. don't think farming is for me.

9. debilorrah

For every one you lose there are hundreds more waiting to warm your heart and give you eggs. [​IMG]

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Hey, you did the right thing for that baby. It wouldn't have been able to survive like that. You be proud that you were able to take care of it as quick as you did and it didn't have to suffer a slow and painful death. So sorry for your loss. I know its hard, I have had almost the exact same experience. Hang in there...your other chicks need you!
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by