Spraddle leg/ slipped tendon?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessica32, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Hi
    Thanks for viewing my post. I have a chick who has been getting along fine until today. When I got home from work I noticed that one of my 50 odd chicks was walking on it's knee joints and that one of it's legs kept slipping out behind it. I have been looking on-line for awhile trying to figure out what is going on. I have come up with spraddle leg or a slipped tendon but, I don't know which or what to do. My chicks are 3 weeks old. It sounded to me from my research that spraddle leg happens before that. I also saw that it could be a slipped tendon. My chick doesn't seem to have a tendon that I can feel is off or swollen joints at this time. It is starting to curl up it's feet and not stand firmly on the ground. Nothing feels broken and my chick is not crying out in pain even when I manipulate it's legs trying to figure out what is going on. Some posts and articles say that my problem could be from vitamin or mineral deficiencies. All of my other chicks are healthy. Some articles or posts say there is no hope so I should cull. Other posts say to use splints. I don't know what to do and am looking for advice. If I should try splinting where do I splint at on the leg? If I should cull what is the best way to do that? If it is a deficiency can adding things to the water such as chick saver help? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Jessica

2. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Culled my chick today. Thanks for all of the help.

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I'm sorry. Recently I had to cull my chick with a slipped tendon, she just warn't gettin any better. I don't know if a splint would've helped or not in your case, but IMO I think culling is probably the best thing to do with chicken leg issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by