spraddle leg /splayed leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingsdaughter, May 2, 2007.

1. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] One of my two week olds has developed this. I have tied its legs together with the spacer and it still will not stand.

How many of you have made it through this at this age when the chick wont stand after tying it. I have her seperated and its really terrible to watch. She is still eating and drinking, but flopping all around and rolling in her poop and water. Its just so sad. [​IMG] Heartbreaking

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Im sure by now that you know that the chicks should not be on newspaper because it can cause spraddle leg, but sometimes it also happens when they are on paper towels or shaving. In that case, I highly recommend 1/4 inch wire flooring such as you would have with a small animal cage. The poop will fall thru so that she wont get dirty, but more importantly, she may be able to grip the wire floor with her toes to keep from slipping. At first she will need help standing and getting her feet under her, but hopefully she will do better with practice. Make sure that you put her next to the food and water several times a day in case she cant get there on her own.

chel

3. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California
    Thanks, she has been just terrible most of the day, but after lunch she stated really fluttering about. Then she stood. Well, kind of. She was able to put some weight on her feet. She is not fully up, but this is the best shes been. At first I had a band aid between her legs, then I switched to a thick string with slip knots at the ends. I am still amazed that she has come this far. It was about four or five days of just laying there, and n ow finally some improvement. [​IMG] I wish I would have realized what had happened to her sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by