1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

spraddle leg turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by packmomma, Apr 15, 2011.

1. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I was at my local feed store admiring the many chicks, and severely trying to not bring any more home. I noticed a box with three turkey chicks, one standing and two laying down. The two laying down had their feet tied together and couldnt get up. I asked and the lady said their hips were out of joint and after a couple days their hips will be strong enough that they can be untied. I'm guessing this was spraddle leg. The one that was walking was having a slight issue but seemed to be doing pretty well. I did a search on here and found the bandade treatment.

Are the legs and hips going to get stronger if they are just simply tied together and the chicks just lays there all the time?
    should I call and tell them to do it differently?

IN the stores defense the did spread food right next to them and they could bend up some and reach the water. The lady that tied them does have chickens but I"m not sure how chicken smart she is. Just wondered if anyone else has done it this way. I would love to take them as I think later the canned turkey will be yummy..and she was trying to get me to, even saying maybe they would discount them, but I really do not have room. I have to be realistic..I could only care for them for 2-3 weeks because I only have one little brooder open right now.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've never heard of tying their legs together would make them all better but ole timers had their own ways and this is probably what she has done before, I can't say one way or the other. Hope someone will be able to see beyond their problem and take them home poor babies.

3. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Ijust dont like that they cant get up and try to walk around. Even in the hospital they have you walk around after surgeries to strengthen you. If I could take them I would, even if in the end they would be eaten. I just couldnt stand them laying there all helpless. AT least with the bandade way of doing it they can walk around.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    if you feel comfortable talking to this lady maybe she'll listen to what you have to say or you could take them and get them fixed up. good luck

5. carbonfibrguy

carbonfibrguy Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    I have a turkey chick that's about 8 weeks old now. He looks like he just got off his horse, he's as bow legged as Matt Dillon but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. He walks and runs and jumps on and off of high perches. He does kinda stay to himself some times. I have two other turkey chicks of the same age and the other two pal around more than my bow legged boy does.
    Any input on his condition? This is my first time raising turkeys.

6. MrsMom

MrsMom New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    I have five 2 1/2 month old turkeys and one of them is bowlegged. The rest are normal. I have read that they should get selenium/vitamin E. I have a selenium/vita E paste for my goats. Any clue on the dosage? Is this something that would be correctable at this age? I wanted to keep her as a breeder, but am willing to butcher her if this problem will cause her pain or other problems once winter comes. She does okay right now, but lies down a lot, making me think she might be in some pain.

Thanks!
    Carrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by