Spraddle Leg???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, May 18, 2009.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I know I keep posting about my little guy but I am just at my wits end on what to do. He was not spraddle legged until he got to be about 2-3 weeks!!! I have no idea what to do as bandaids are way to small (he is a cornish rock and is already pushing 2 lbs.) I am not sure if I should just take him to the vet to be put down since he can hardly walk and is just getting fat and having labored breathing ( I do limit his food). WHAT TO DO!??!!?!?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I haven't read your other posts on this guy, but it sounds like he is growing faster than this heart & legs can support him. I understand this is common with "meat" type birds.
    There are a few members on here that have successfully saved birds with this problem, I hope one of them sees this and can give you some advice.

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    yeah it seems to be a 50/50 type thing... he is such a cutie. Did you ever see "Beautician and the Beast"? She has a pet chicken she keeps in the laundry room and gives her Eintamins coffee cake... maybe thats the life for him!!!

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Have you tried PolyViSol baby vitamins?

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Nope! Where can you get those??? I dont want to have to put him down...

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I put some of the vitamins in some water and put it by him... that was the only way I could think of giving them to him. If my other chicks have abit is that ok?

Thank yall for all your help!

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I have not seen your other posts but I have fixed a cornish cross with a spraddle leg. I used medical tape. That kind doesn't stick to skin and does wonderfully. I am lucky because I get to work at home, and had the time to give this chicken. I had to put chicken by water and food every hour. In 3-4 days chicken was better. I tape legs in a "natural way" where it can sit up on them, kind of underneath it. Anyway, I hope this works. Good luck.

8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Any pharmacy should carry Poly Vi Sol. It is a infant vitamin drop (human infant drop). Get the one without iron. It should be about 6 bucks. It has an eye dropper. Use one drop 3 times per day for a week, then taper down over 4 days.

9. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I will have to try that!

BTW your profile picture is awesome as I am also from Texas but displaced at the moment in PA.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by