1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spraddle leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If you put the bandaids on how long do you leave it. How do you prevent the chick from falling in the water. Can they get around with the band aids on. Is 5 days to late to treat spraddle leg. I had two chicks that needed shoes to flatten their feet. Well I took the shoes off today now they are both holding their one leg out to the side. The one little is almost dragging it and he gets worn out from it. I think the spraddle leg treatment might help. Any advice. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I left mine on for 3 days, and he was much better, but the legs still apart slightly. I tried reapplying it, but he kept getting the bandaid off, so I left it. Slowly he got betteras the muscles strengthened, and is doing great at 22 weeks. I would not keep it on too long sice you need to check it every cople of days. You really need an extra pair of hands to do it.

3. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i experienced spraddle leg once - - i left it on for a couple or four days and the chick was fine. i, too, was concerned about the chick being able to get around - - but it had no problem. in fact, i would forget it had it's "brace" on.

4. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    after two days with bandaids your chick getting used to it and she isn't gonna fall in the water after a while , I think 7-8 days enough because your chicks are two days old, I wish the best for your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by