1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spraddle Leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xC0000005, Jan 30, 2012.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    We got our order of 24 chicks (the brown egg layer assortment) this morning, and to our delight we had 25 health chicks in the box, and one with spraddle leg. The leg splays out behind the chick. I read up on it and and made a "bandaid splint" but no matter how I do it I can't quite get the leg line up so that the legs are perfectly parallel. The spraddle one twists slightly outward. The chick can now sit upright and is eating and drinking, but it seems to rest "perched" on the good leg. Should I go back and tape a divider/brace into place to hold the leg straight? It looks better but the chick gets knocked over by its less restrained hatch-mates. If I hold up the chick it looks perfectly aligned, it's when it goes to put weight that the outward twist develops.

2. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    Best bet is to have someone put it out of it's misery. I love my babies and it is hard but trust me, you will thank them later. I allowed my chick to grow for 3 months and she was miserable and so was I. My chick did die but it was a long painful time till she did. It wasn't fair to me or to her.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    If it were me I would give it a try and keep the bandaid on it. Change it out every few days. The joints are not fused yet and you might have a chance to correct it.

If not, as the above poster said, you might have to deal with problems down the road, so be prepared... Good luck to you.

4. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    For what it is worth, the splint seemed to do the trick...sort of. See, I realized later that BOTH legs are rotated outward about 45 degrees, which is why no matter what I did they didn't look right. The sound she made when I gently "corrected" this made it clear that I wasn't going to try that again, so I kept a bandage splint on to keep the leg from splaying out too wide and let her walk. Sleeping (or picked up and just legs hanging) Spraddle (what else would we name her?) has her legs twisted outward. It doesn't seem to slow her down now that she's older. If I didn't look for it. I wouldn't even spot it (it's hard to see when she walks and hard to miss if she's asleep with her legs both outward. We're going to keep her around - she runs and flaps and hops at the others just fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain, so she's just a little different. That I can live with. Who knows? Maybe she'll lay me breakfast one of these days, or make me dinner one evening. I'm hoping for breakfast, but dinner's a fine meal too.

Thanks for the advice.

5. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I'm glad the chick is doing okay. I didn't mean to sound harsh but I did want you to keep in mind that difficult decisions may have to be made. Keep us posted on the progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by