spraddle leg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CuriousQuail, Nov 29, 2012.

1. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Chick has curled toes and hobbles about but falls over quite often. occasionaly it takes to extending its legs behind itself. I thought it was spraddle at first but it hobbles well with my mini sandals.

2 days old. Had to help it hatch it took 27 hours to get as far as it did... which was not far.

it is very strong (good leg pushing!) just not walking right...

also literally enjoys sleeping with its legs extendex out and on its left or right side...

2. CuriousQuail

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The sandals
    [​IMG]

How it usually sleeps

[​IMG]

After laying him down it kinda just flops about and then rests like this
    [​IMG]

It is stretching in this pic, but imagine it on its belly... it'll sleep like this or on its' back like this.
    [​IMG]

He'll peck at food from time to time but I have to give it water myself since it can't hobble to find it? Not even when I place it near. I have taken to feeding and watering personally every few hours. Just in small bits since it gets tired real quick and I have no heater at home, so this is the only source of warmth - the brooder.

I took the sandals off today. Slight improvement. I noticed it stopped laying like this and now lays on its belly.

It still pushes its self so hard that he falls forward. I have a feeling it's just trying to learn to walk and balance itself now? I just hope it does before the 1 week is up. I heard their bones really start to settle by then.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Chicks that you have to help out of the egg can end up like this. He was probably not meant to hatch. They do not have the strength to push out of the egg, and this little guy barely has the strength to get thru his day. He may or may not make it. If you pamper him, make sure he eats, drinks and does not get trampled by the others, it is possible he may live to adulthood. Many times chicks like this have other internal issues as well.

4. CuriousQuail

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I'm worried about the internal since that's something I can't do anything about. If something like that happens I'll just cull it :(
    This may be my first time hatching but it's not the first time with a baby bird.

This one has all the spirit of an active chick... it just poops out faster because of its' legs :\

I took the sandals off and toes are alright (not perfect) but it encouraged it to walk normal :) It does yawn from time to time and I put my ear next to it to listen for gurgling or anything... nothing yet!

Got some vitasol+water and it seems to help with the energy level of the chick. Not sleeping as often as it was.

It's sad/funny to watch it jet forward 3 steps stumble then just belly slide across the brooder lmao. Then it takes a nap and repeats this process off and on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by