Spraddle leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ash123, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I have 11 two week old chicks. I noticed two of them were having leg problems. I researched and found they had spraddle leg. I put a perch in their brooder tonight and none of them can grab onto it with their toes. I'm concerned they are all (all 11) a bit handicapped:( is there anything I can do about this? I have the worst with a bandaid wrapped around his little legs to try to correct it. The other birds walk around just fine. I used hay in the brooder, apparently that is terrible choice of bedding.:/

2. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    I have no ideal if this could work, NEVER HAD CHICKS.
    I raise baby cockateils, I had a seven day old teils that had displayed legs (he was using his tummy, instead of his legs)
    my husband found a way that got him up and moving. :)
    Make up wedges, that you get in the makeup spot, they are soft foam shape like a V, he then broke a writing pen so the pen looked like a straw, he made a small hole in the foam and shoved the empty pen inside the hole, with this done he put the leg inside the pen, and pulled the pen out, then did the same to the other leg. Vet tape the legs apart but straight, my little Struggles (my baby teil) looked like he was ready to go skiing LOL, after a few weeks, he had straight legs and was walking a lot.:)

I don't know if chicks can have this done, maybe someone could tell you if this could work for a chick
    :rolleyes:

3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I have never heard of the pen thing and the make up wedges. Perhaps some more details on that?

Otherwise, i think that the band aid should work well. Hay is a good bedding. newspaper is bad because it's slippery. I would use straw in place of hay. Hay is the green stuff, and is expensive because it is used as feed for cows, goats etc, straw is the yellow stuff that is cheaper and is used for animal bedding.

Hope your chicks do better. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Umm details, are you talking to me?
    My bird, Lol very first cockateil that we (hubby and I) hand feed, I learned how to on feeding and being showed in person how to feed him. Hubby studied how to on fixing displayed legs, I think I got his age wrong, he was 7 days old when we pulled him, his mommy was sick and vet said pull the baby, EVERY TWO HOURS OF FEEDING LOL.
    His legs was spreading apart so he could not stand, long story but never thought I was going to have a baby pop out of an egg lol the nest was total wrong for a baby.
    Anyways week later or two weeks legs was not going into place, so hubby thought that if we use something soft, yet stay in place, we used makeup wedges V shape, his problem (hubby) HOW DO YOU PULL THOSE TINY LEGS THOUGH THE FOAM? (makeup wedges) will he used a plastic pen as a straw, took all the pen stuff out, and here you have a hard plastic straw. He then poked a very small hole in the foam and pulled the pen though the hole, (baby named struggles) hubby took one leg of Struggles and put it in the pen (empty) then pulled the pen out from the foam as the leg was still in the foam, he did this for both legs, using two wedge makeup foam, then he vet tape the foam (very small wrap) to each of the foam so the legs had to be straight.
    LIKE I SAID POOR LITTLE STRUGGLES WAS READY TO GO SKIING LOL, because he had V shape foam on each leg and tape together so both legs was straight and very much under him. I think after three weeks to four weeks we took off his ski shoes (foam) and his legs was straight, he was walking great.
    if any of this infor could help a chick I would be so happy,, but I have no ideal and no clue on young chicks. I would be so happy to find out if this could save a chick, and for the chick to walk again.:D

5. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Straw is what I used then. I wonder why all of them are damaged then...I think the bandaid method works pretty similar to what your pen/wedge thing does. My concern is their little toes and why they aren't holding onto the perch like they should be. My last batch were all perched up by this age. I wonder if spraddle foot is the culprit or if its something that happened during incubation...

6. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    *spraddle leg

7. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

You can try switching out the bedding for a metal mesh wire to help them grip as they walk. Put a a square piece of plastic or board under the wire, so when the poop falls through, it can land on the plastic or board and you can clean it easily. If this leg condition is affecting most of the chicks, then i think that this is something that happened during incubation, or something that happened their first day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by