Spraddle leg??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkieluver_07, Jul 31, 2008.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    When I recieved my shipment of lavender silkie chicks today, "Hobbles" has a splayed leg. She can walk around on it a little, but she hobbles (thats how she got her name). Is there anyway I can but a brace/splint to help her?

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Yep! I just did this with a keet baby! Take a bandaid and cut it in half lengthwise. Take and wrap a sticky side around one leg about half way up and do the other side the same way. The pad in the middle keeps the legs the right distance apart. There is a link with photos, I will post it in a sec.

3. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! Pictures would really help, since I'm more of a see-and-do person. [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If you catch them early they do really well.
    Had a welsummer chick that fixed up within a week and you'd never know it to look at her now!

5. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yea, I saw it when I put them in the brooder. Hopefully everything turns out alright, because I waited a long time for these.

6. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thankyou Poison Ivy. She can walk around fine, just with a hobble. I will do the bandaid therapy. Thanks again everyone!

7. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:THAT"S THE LINK!!!! Yay! I have been looking for it all this time lol. Bookmarked for future reference. That link is WONDERFUL! I used it when I had to make the band-aid brace for mine and within 3 days was able to remove it! Now you can't even tell the difference in it and the others!

8. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I did the bandaid therapy, but Hobbles is peeping and pecking at the bandaid. She has now realized that she can RUN, but sometimes goes too fast and flips over. Will she eventually get used to it?

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Not really. I think those little brains forget when there's food, bugs or some other distraction around. But it won't be on her for too long!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by