Spraddle leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LinaNate, Nov 15, 2014.

1. LinaNate

LinaNate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    I'm not sure if this is spraddle leg. First I was treating the toes- they curled under and backwards but we got them straightened pretty good with taping them for a few days.

When the foot tape came off the leg thing became obvious and I don't know if it's spraddle leg because it's sort of coming from the elbow/ angle joint (not sure what it's called in chickens). The chick stumbles and cheeps loudly when legs are untaped but the taping doesn't seems to be righting the foot from curving out from the elbow, it just brings the feet directly under the chick.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Am I missing something that should be taped or supported here? What would you do?

[​IMG]
    When legs are drawn together, chick even stands kind of askew as you can see here. I'm at a loss.
    [​IMG]
    I should add that this is an incubator chick. Hatched out on it's own, was the only hatchling that hatched out.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  3. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The legs are weak but I really don't think it's spraddle leg at all. The one leg is literally turned around backwards now :(
    I'm trying to splint it now.

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Somebody with experience, please take a look and see if you can help.

I don't know what else to advise..wish I did.

Keep new replies going, keeps the issue visible and hope someone can give advice.

Could you call your extension agent to see if you can email photos and get them to contact the poultry experts. That's what i would do.

5. LinaNate

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    With the splint this poor thing just flops backwards. It's no staying in the support cup and it's pretty miserable with me fussing with it nonstop.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Anybody got suggestions?

7. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Not really a suggestion here, just that we dealt with the same thing this summer. I thought we had a case of splay leg, and taped the legs
    [​IMG]

See how the birds right leg sits oddly? The right leg ended up turning backwards and sticking out sideways at 2 weeks. The vet said that it was not treatable, and recommended that we put the chick down. We followed his advice.

8. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Oh to bad... :fl for the OP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by