Spraddle-Legged Pekin

bobbarker

Hatching
Jun 2, 2015
Hey all,
I'm new to ducks this year, and I've got one Pekin who seems to be developing spraddle leg. He is about 4 weeks old and his leg is a little wobbly and turned in, and it looks similar to some pictures I've seen of spraddle leg.
I've had them on 22% protein chick starter (just found out tonight that I need to drop them to a lower protein feed!), and the duckling was fine when we brought it home 3 weeks ago, and has always had plenty of shavings in the brooder.

I've seen recommendations of shackling the legs together for a period of time, but I'm wondering if this guy is too old for that to be an effective treatment. Also wondering what the prognosis is if the issue can't be corrected. Do we need to put it down, or will it be able to get around gimping?

Thanks for the help!

I would still try to support his leg some and give him vitamin B. It's made a big difference on my Pekin, good luck

Thanks. I picked up some poultry booster this morning with all sorts of vitamins and such in it. We've also got them out of their brooder pen (it's a large separation pen in the chicken coop) and they've got the run of the coop, so I'm hoping some more room to move around and exercise may help.

Back
Top Bottom