Spraddle Legs/Lame foot going through new chicks! HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrahminChick, Oct 12, 2019.

1. BrahminChick

BrahminChick Hatching

Sep 28, 2019
    Hi guys! Initially we had a healthy 7 chicks; all good they are the best; teenagers now. Then we incubated and had 5 chicks of which one had what I thought to be spraddle leg and eventually passed away within first week. Couple weeks passed the 4 chicks joined the 7 teens in the outdoor coup. Now one of the teens has an inward turned leg but it seems we may not have caught it or something because otherwise he’s fine learnt to walk and hang out with it.
    What’s worrying is one of the 4 new babies has a lifted up lame leg he doesn’t use; and now another chick has a swollen leg joint looking week. Mom in law separates these two but we have no clue what’s going on! Please help save these guys before we read something scary online and she gets rid of them!

2. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    Any pictures of the chicks standing? Some pictures that show what's going on with the legs will get you more help! Good luck!

BrahminChick and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. BrahminChick

BrahminChick Hatching

Sep 28, 2019
    Photos of the little chick and the teenager with their lefs

Attached Files:

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where did you get the eggs from? Personally, I would not hatch any more from that source.
    To me, both chicks have a leg bone deformity. It can be cause from parent stock nutrition, genetics and possibly incorrect incubation.
    These 2 chicks should not be bred. The legs may get worse over time as they continue to grow and gain weight. Sometimes they may loose the ability to walk/get around. Some chickens learn to adapt with these deformities and live a relatively "normal" life.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1790586/

5. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    It may seem harsh but your best bet IS to get rid of them. It costs as much or more to care for poor unthrifty stock as it does good quality sound animals.

6. BrahminChick

BrahminChick Hatching

Sep 28, 2019
    Oh gosh is there no way to help them out? Yea the teenager wasn’t showing these signs initially but I can tell the leg is getting worse.
    Also it’s not mareks or some other infectious spreadable leg disease is it?

7. BrahminChick

BrahminChick Hatching

Sep 28, 2019
    I ask because initially only the little one showed a limp leg that it lifted up now another one had a swollen joint. We received the eggs from my mom in law’s friend - incubated them and the rest are all good and healthy but one passed from being too weak of spraddle legs; then these two and we’re afraid generally the if this would spread. They are the cutest friendliest bunch of chicks!

8. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Crowing

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    This is really bad. I would not get the eggs from that source. I wonder if it is genetics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: