Spraddle Legs, Slipped Tendon, Dead in Egg, What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by renovationmom, Apr 10, 2011.

1. renovationmom

renovationmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    This is my second hatch with a LG still air manuel turn incubator. First hatch had no problems, chicks are doing well. I am using eggs from my own silkie flock, 5 blood lines, all three roosters not related to hens. My hens have hatched and raised many healthy chicks(8 this season). I chose to incubate to give my hens a rest, they all went broody at the same time, and I can hatch more eggs at one time in a incubator.

I turn eggs three times per day, humidity at 49%, temperature 99.9. At lock down I put in a wet sponge, and humidity stayed around 62%. My hatch started on time, on 4-8-11.

The 1st chick has a slipped tendon.

The 2nd chick died in the egg. (pipped) (moist and does not appear to be shrink wrapped)

The 3rd chick has spraddle legs.

The 4th and 5th just hatched, and are drying in the incubator, still too early for me to determine their condition.

6 more eggs remain unhatched.

Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong? Is this an incubating problem, or do I have a problem with my flock?

I am thankful for any advice anyone has to give. At this point I am concerned, sad and discouraged. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    An update: I was able to research on the BYC Forum the spraddle legs, and found it is not a birth defect, but a problem that can happen in the incubator, being on the wire and the chick not getting the correct footing. I was able to place a bandaide around and between the chicks legs, and replace the loose shaved bedding for paper towels, so he would have something to grip to, and the baby is standing and walking, although he stops to try to remove the bandaide. Now I just need to wait and see if this corrects his problem, but it is looking good.

On a sad note, the chick with the slipped tendon, although I have read can be corrected, the therapy and time required is just not possible for me, I work full time and have a 6 year old child. I will have to put him at peace. The other two chicks are still drying off, and doing alot of flopping around and chripping, I hope they will be alright. This is a lot all at once for a "Newbie"

3. gronsk

gronsk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    SE MA
    An automatic turner might help. Sounds like poor temperature control. Were they early?Late?[​IMG]

4. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Thanks for your help. I did purchase a second incubator, with a turner, and that batch is due to hatch on April 19th.(I want to add a fan when budget allows)I also added an extra temperature and humidity gauge to each incubator. Crossing my fingers. They started right on time(5 of 11). One of the 6 unhatched is hatching right now. So, I am not giving up on the remaining 5 yet. You bring up a good point about the temperature. It stayed at 99.5, But I have read some are keeping the still air incubators at 101?

5. milakegrl

milakegrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    UP of MI
    Check out
    http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

There's a pic that shows an example of thermal layering. You've heard - "hot air rises"? That's the concept. I have a still air and have been keeping it at 100 -101. Had a silkie hatch on Saturday and an Easter Egger hatch today - pretty much right on schedule! I was using a homemade incubator before with zero luck. I have aquarium thermometers on top of the eggs, leaned against them and on the bottom of the incubator. Plus the one they sent with the bator resting right on top the the eggs. I also have a fan near the incubator to encourage air exchange.

Also!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/we...et&PHPSESSID=6a9ef75252d048761e502795e39964f4

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Quote:Thank You for the great advice, I will research these sites.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by