Spraddle Legs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by E.M. Silkies, Jan 3, 2011.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok, need some expert advice. I have a chicky who is spraddle legged. I have his legs put back in the right place and secured. What do I need to expect him to do/try to do, with his legs taped together? Also he is a silkie with five toes and his outside toes are folded up under his feet... what do I need to do? Is it part of the spraddle or do I need to try and secure them in the right position?

2. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Iam just wishing you the best, search curled toes on here... And taping, I did for one.. And then left it that way for a day.. Untaped the next day, what a difference one day made.. Then if it's still not able to walk, retape..etc

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I had some who recovered and some who didn't. You have to make sure chick is on no slip footing. Do not use newspaper. I would put down papertowels so chick has good footing. take a toothpick and break it to fit and tape on to toe or leg or both. You have to watch that the other chicks don't peck at it. I took chick and separated it, put the smallest nicest chick to sit with it. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by