spradle leg???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Macy's_Mommy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Macy's_Mommy

Macy's_Mommy New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    OK, new to this forum stuff and also new to the chicken world (just got ours this summer). My daughter (who is 3) and I have incubated our 1 egg and now have a new little chick who is 4 days old...but we have a problem...it can hardly stand up...[​IMG]i was thinking it may have spradle leg (i think that is what u call it, again, kinda new to all of this) but only one of its little legs go out. Wasnt sure if i could do anything to correct this...just needing some advice. Thanks.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What type of bedding are you using in the brooder? Newspaper or similar is a no-no as it can cause spraddle legs. At this point pine shavings would be the best bet.

Aside from that (and you may know all that already) I believe there are some remedies for straddle legs, but I'm not experienced with any of them, so I'll let someone else give the specifics...

Welcome to the forum!

Susan

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Some people use a bandaid as a hobble to draw the wayward leg in to a more normal position. I use vet wrap as it is softer and self sticking. Pharmacy sections in WalMarts also have something similar it looks like a light weight ace bandage but sticks to itself.

Going to see if I can find the link for this. Don't be surprised when you hook the legs together that the chick does a few nose(beak) dives before it gets the hang of walking differently.

Has it had this condition since hatching? Or has it shown up later?

Edited to include this link. www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html seeing if this looks like what you are dealing with. I know my few chicks that had this were only effected in one leg, not two like shown here.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  4. Macy's_Mommy

Macy's_Mommy New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    Thanks guys for ur quick advice. Our bedding is a old handtowel with a little straw on the top. And we noticed this problem immediately after hatching. I at first thought since it was first born that it may have to develop the strength to stand normally, but now it has been 4 days. Does this sometimes happen from the start? I believe the chick has enough traction on the towel and straw. We are just worried mommies.

5. Macy's_Mommy

Macy's_Mommy New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    thanks for the link to poultryhelp.com that was very informative! I will be trying that method with the bandaids! [​IMG]

6. Macy's_Mommy

Macy's_Mommy New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    just a quick update...tried the bandaid thing! Our chicky is standing up straight and tall. Cant walk very well and heads up often but all in all doing great. I hope this works. Wonder how long i should leave this on? [​IMG]

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    That's good news. Keep the hobbles on for about a week. I change mine daily and set them down for a few minutes while I am working on them. That gives me time to see if it is really helping.

Check and make sure the leg can face forward from the hip joint okay. As that is another problem.

The straw might actually be too slick for a young chick. Paper towels or rubbermaid shelf liner can give better footing.

I have had two that had this from the beginning. And one that developed it at about 1 week old. Adding a vitamin might be helpful, sometimes it is a deficiency.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have had this happen with one chick...keep doing what Verthandi says...used the same methods...

9. Macy's_Mommy

Macy's_Mommy New Egg

Oct 15, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    [​IMG] Thanks so much everyone!

10. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    here is a picture of what it looks like
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by