Spradle Legs After a Week of being Fine??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Aug 27, 2008.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I came home today and one of the new chicks in the brooder had obvious spradle legs. She cannot stand, and was just flopping around sadly. All the other chicks were walking on her, and she didn't seem able to get to food or water. So I pulled her out, did the bandaid thing to her legs, offered her food and water, which she accepted enthusiastically. Now, this chick was absolutely fine until today. She is 1 week old today. She came from McMurray through the mail fine and hasn't had any problems. She still cannot stand, even with the taped legs. I put her back in the brooder, and she continues to flop helplessly and cannot get to the food or water, and the other chicks walk all over her.

I've had other spraddle legs chicks before, but those were ones that arrived through the mail in that condition, and even with treatment, they never survived. This is the first one I've had that developed it after it had been fine for a week. The chicks are on wood shavings, about 2 inches worth, in their box.

So, can I do anything else for this chick? Is it just going to die anyway? Should I make up a sick box for it, or leave it with the others? How often should I offer food and water?

Thanks for the help. I really didn't want to lose this one since it is one of my hens that I got with a batch of meat birds. I'm always partial to the hens.

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48267

Sometimes, you can find answers through the "Search" function at the top. I thought this thread looked like a good one. Hopefully it will have some answers for you. Good luck! It definitely sounds like it is worth a try to save the little chick!

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I did do the search first. But I didn't find anything about the chick not able to stand after being hobbled. She doesn't keep her feet under her at all. She just flops forward with her legs out straight to the side or back, and then lays there bicycling her legs, but not able to get up.

I have her in her own box now, with shelf liner grippy stuff on the bottom. I scattered feed on the bottom, so she can reach it better, and put in a very shallow lid for water.

Can I do anything else? Should I immoblize her propped up in a sour cream container or something?

Thanks.

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    It iwll take them a little while to learn to walk with the hobble. She has been running around for a week so has no idea why her legs wont work now. Giver her a few days to get used to it.

5. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Hope that you have success.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hiding, you might consider putting her into a drinking glass for several hours a day. I know it may sound cruel, but know someone who hatched a chick that extremely large at hatch; his leg was curled the wrong direction under him in the shell. She hobbled him, and put him in a drinking glass - just big enough for him to stand - this way, it forces them to get their legs under themselves and strengthen them.

Here's the link - scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.sweeth2o.us/SweewaterBlackCopper.html

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  7. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wynette,

Thanks for that link. I will definitely try that at night. I haven't given up hope yet. She is still eating and drinking .

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    So long as she's eating and drinking, there is hope!!! [​IMG]

Please keep us posted. Hope she pulls through!!

9. HidingInTheHenHouse

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    She is still eating and drinking. Still cannot stand, but continues to flop around, so she hasn't given up yet. I put her in the cup for the night. She doesn't really like being there, but at least she is in the right position. Still hoping she'll make it.

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm just dealing with my first spraddle case too. The first time, I put the bandage on too tight and Scooter couldn't walk. I lengthened the bandage a bit and she/he was fine. Since, I've been gradually shortening the length. Scooter appears to be scootin' along just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by