Spradled Leg Genetic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amysue2012, Apr 7, 2009.

1. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Just a thought can spradled leg be genetic? Or is it just something that happens during the hatch? I would like to keep breeding a specific breed but one of the chicks is spradled...I don’t like to cull but I know some cases it is necessary.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Not sure if it is genetic or not. But usually it is caused from being on a slippery surface, or them not having enough traction after the hatch (on the wire incubator floor)

3. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    There is wire on the bottom of the bator but this little one is now 4 days old and still kicking its leg all the way out like the joint is over extended. Ive tried to pose her and she will only sit for a second then flaps her wings and extends her leg again. Right now shes got a bandaid on and just sits and crys.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

There is some thought that things like spraddle leg and wry neck are caused by both environment and genetics. Both benefit from added vitamins, especially vitamin E. Because some chicks grow so fast (genetic) some breeders believe that they require supplements during the growth spurts so the bones and nerves can adjust to the accelerated changes...

and in addition good footing and application of various types of foot'leg braces should be used for spraddle. Birds should be separated immediately.

here are some ongoing threads which may assist you-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...RID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=spraddle&sa=Search#993

Act fast to ensure helpful results.

5. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
  6. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    does spradeld mean twisted upward

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  8. stabley1991

stabley1991 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    Quote:no. its when the chicks legs cant support the weight and the chicks do the splits.

usually tying the legs together but leaving room for them to walk solves it if you do it early enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by