Sprained leg during hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Hello all. Just thought I'd share this because it was a totally new experience for me, and I'm sure new for a lot of you too. I had a chick hatch yesterday, all by his onesy savvy, but after he got out he couldn't walk. I let him rest, figuring he was tired, but when his younger brother started walking and he still didn't I knew something was wrong. His legs would slide in front of him and his hips felt "lose." That's the best way I can describe it, lose. The other chicks had tight hip muscles and good contraction, but his were weak and he felt uncomfortable when I touched them. I called our avian vet, but she didn't answer and I was just about to put him down when she called and explained that it's not uncommon for chicks to strain their leg muscles during hatch, and that in a few days he should show improvement. And what do you know, the little bugger made an outstanding effort to stand and walk. He's been slowly improving all throughout the day, and now he can walk, a very clumsy walk though.

I decided to put the eggs in a carton during hatch and I think that's how he hurt himself. When the eggs are laid on their sides, the chicks just fall out of the egg. But when it's vertical in the carton, the chicks have to push themselves out. I think he just pushed too hard and pulled the muscles. Poor baby. Just another thing to keep an eye open for when hatching.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Sounds like spraddle leg. You can cut a bandaide lengthwise and using one piece stick the bandaide on to his legs (one sticky side for each leg) so that his legs are spaced apart the same distance as the nonstick pad on the bandaide. Leave it on a couple of days and see if that doesn't help his legs be stronger.

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Thought that might have been the case, but it was clearly an issue with its hips. The femur muscles just didn't feel right. He's on the road to recovery, and when he gains his footing a little better I am going to splint his legs because I think they're starting to spraddle a little bit, seeing as he's been flailing around trying to walk. lol

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The sooner ( like now ) the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by