sprained leg help needed. walking pain. Adult chicken

4ladies

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
One of my ladies appears to have hurt her leg. She stuggles to walk on it and makes little sad painful sounds. She also will walk on her "elbows/knees"? which seams to be easier for her but still difficult. I attempted to put on a stiff cast which was of no help at all because she just layed on her side with her leg out. It clearly looks like a leg problem. When it first started I thought she had just slept on it wrong but it seams to get worse as time goes on. She is 1.5 year Americana type hen. There are no other things going on eating, drinking normal, poop is normal, no puss, no sneezing, no coughing. I've been giving all the ladies extra vitamins, yogurt, and treats. She looks healthy until you see her walk. Yes I've read all the Mareks and just don't see it looking like that. She also is the only Standard hen among 3 Bantams and is in no danger of getting beat up or peeked to death in the coop.

I've read people's posts about taping popsicle sticks to her legs. If I do that do I break the sticks at the ankle and elbow? how can I figure out if it's actually a joint instead of the leg bone? And how would I treat it, if it were? As time has gone on it seams to get worse. I have been keeping them all inside lately, in the hopes of promoting rest and letting it heal, but one day of play and it's back to being messed up. She does not handle being locked away from her friends well AT ALL! yells bloody murder the whole time. And tryies to escape.

thanks ahead of time. Little Midori really needs some help on this one.

You will have to examine her very closely and since she is in pain now, the exam will hurt too most likely. She could have a wound under those feathers that isn't easy to see or it could be a leg out of joint which you'd have to try and put back. For relief, you might be able to rig her something like a Chick Chair which is like a sling that puts her in a standing position but with no weight on the leg. And she can be in the coop in that. A splint doesn't sound appropriate since you don't know what the problem is, exactly.

A baby aspirin or 1/4 a regular aspirin can be given dissolved in water for pain. This stuff may sound kinda out there but it's all I can think of. Maybe someone else will have better advice?

Back
Top Bottom