Sprained Leg on my rooster!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by randalliceman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. randalliceman

randalliceman New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Hello! My rooster has seemed to sprained his leg/ankle of some sort i think, wasn't too sure how to diagnose, or if there is even a solution, He has a slight limp in his left leg, sometimes he limps and will hold it up periodically. I was hoping to see if there was a way to treat it, or just help it heal. Thanks! -Randy

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Rooster leg injuries seem harder to heal than hen leg injuries, probably because they're so much more active. The usual treatment is to put them in a crate for a week and give them vitamins in the water (especially B vitamins.) Evaluate them after a week, and confine them for another week if the injury is not better. Besides a sprain or break, mycoplasma synoviae or viral arthritis (tenosynovitis) can be a cause of limping. Look for any swelling of the joints or sitting on hocks.

3. randalliceman

randalliceman New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Awesome! Thank you for the quick response, he is within his first year, so it was probably due to an injury of some sort, i can partition my coop so he can be confined for a week or so! Thank you so much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by