1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sprained Leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzervas92, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Today I went down to the coop to give my chickens a little bit of bread and I noticed my Rhode Island Red refused to walk on her left leg. She was hoping all around on her right leg, and she refused to eat the bread(she would KILL for bread so thats not like her). I also cleaned her foot off to see if something was stuck or cut, but I didn't notice anything odd. I'm not sure if she's eating but I saw her drinking. Am I overreacting will it heal on its own? Should I take her to the vet or put a home-made splint on it?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Check the bottom of her foot for a black scab (bumblefoot) or swelling also...I don't know if you looked specifically for that.

It is possible to get an injury from fencing too...check your fencing. Of course there are diseases that cause lameness but hopefully she will recover and it was just an injury.

3. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Thank you for the response, I actually didn't think about swelling or any black scabs. I took her into the house and I soaked her feet in lukewarm water and epsom salt to get the dirt off. I didn't notice any unusual swelling or black scabs, the pads of her feet looked a little red. But after the bath she was walking a lot better so I have a feeling she got hurt on the fencing. We use chain link fencing, and for some reason they love to climb up it.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Oh and another one is roosts that are too high...as they jump down they can get bumblefoot or injuries.

Sounds like the fencing may be the culprit.

5. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    I didn't know that if the roosts are to high they could get hurt, it always sounds like a loud thump when they come down. I'm definitely going to add different levels so they have to climb up and down. Thank you for all your help!

6. ChickensAreSweet

Yes I have found that for the heavy breeds like Orpingtons when the roosts get to more than about a couple of feet high there is that horrid loud thump. I used to have my roosts 5 feet high and now am down to about 2 feet.

You are welcome!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by