1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sprawl-legged coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Agape Builder, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Agape Builder

Agape Builder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I did a search and did not find anything for this, but I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to what could possibly be done to help a sprawl legged coturnix quail chick? I have a little batch of chicks in the brooder, and the rest seem to be doing well. I have a towel underneath the chicks, so I do not know how to improve their footing really.

This particular chick just seemed to have problems getting its legs under itself right out of the shell. It is dry, and was hatched a number of hours ago last night. I thought that maybe this chick would just gather enough strength and fix itself, but it hasn't. It seems healthy and strong enough otherwise, just is sprawl legged and not walking properly. Any ideas of anything I might be able to do to help fix it?

2. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
  3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Substitute the bainaid with pet surgical tape that adheres to the tape but not to the bird.You will get better results.

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    When you remove the adhesive later, be very careful. Do not pull it off like you might with a human. THe quail are too delicate.

You will need to take a cotton ball or something similar and dip it in an edible oil (like olive oil, but anything similar like canola oil or even corn oil should work). Rub it over the adhesive bandage gently but repeatedly.

You should do this until the adhesive is so saturated with the oil that it comes undone or falls off by itself.

Be careful not to get the oil all over the chicks down, of course.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. Agape Builder

May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Very good link... Thank you! I don't have any "pet" surgical tape, but I do have a multitude of different band-aids. I will check those. I was trying to figure out how to truss up the legs with some other materials, but this seems like a good idea that I did not think about. Thanks again. I will try this right away.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I cut the tip off of a toothpick and attach it with a band-aid. It makes a pretty good splint.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I'M LOST HERE.... HOW IS THIS GOING TO HELP SPRADDLE LEG???

8. Agape Builder

May 11, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    My poor little coturnix chick. When I first hobbled up the legs like the web site showed with the legs in the natural position, he would immediately tip over and be unable to right himself just like a turned over turtle. So, I did the process over again, this time allowing a little more room between the legs so he could try to move a little. (Ever tried walking with your legs hobbled? Now, imagine a baby coturnix trying to walk for the first time with his legs tied together.)

The poor thing. I feel so sorry for it. I have a hard time imagining it surviving long unless a miracle happens. It always flips over and sometimes rights itself, but after flopping around for a long time it just gets tired. I get tired just watching it. So, when it rests or sleeps, while all of the rest of them sprawl out on their backs or sides looking like they are dead, this one sprawls out on its back! I sure hope it gets better soon. It's normal leg muscles seem very strong. The problem seems like it is more of a hip problem, or the muscles of the hip. I hope they tighten up soon.

9. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I'M LOST HERE.... HOW IS THIS GOING TO HELP SPRADDLE LEG???

I'm still trying to figure it out too..

10. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:For extreme splay legs you will need to do it twice like you just did.. first go half way from current leg position to normal position... then second hobble to get to normal leg position.

Don't fret about it. You are helping the bird gain footing. It is a struggle you can't "help" other then the hobble. Just like helping a kid ride a bike. you got the training wheels on now its up to the kid to make it work.

turn it over when it flips. keep water and food close by and just hang tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by