Spray foam insulation?

Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I’m looking for any suggestions for spray foam insulation to use in both of my coops? I’ve been planning on using it just in my small coop but it would be worth the money to just do them both.

I’m unsure of the size of the coops but I’m mainly looking for suggestions based on the quality of the insulation vs price. I know it’s a steep price for this insulation but I’ve already gone over that and this is something I’m not willing to skimp on.

Also if anyone knows something I don’t about spray foam insultion and why I shouldn’t use it please tell me! I’m wanting all the information I can :caf

Think about the fact that you'll have to cover up the insulation so the birds won't eat it.
I think foam boards would be easier, but really need to see pics of coops to make a viable suggestion.
Tho insulation might help, don't forget that good ventilation is more important.

Think about the fact that you'll have to cover up the insulation so the birds won't eat it.
I think foam boards would be easier, but really need to see pics of coops to make a viable suggestion.
Tho insulation might help, don't forget that good ventilation is more important.

I have white polycarbonate sheets I’m going to be lining the inside of the coop with as interior walls. It’s easy to clean and nothing sticks, it’s also on the floor on my coop.

I have 4 open vents (covered by 1/2” hardwire) that are roughly 6” X 12” or so. There is 2 on the south wall by the eastern corner and 2 on the north wall by the western corner.

I’m choosing spray foam as it’ll help seal the exterior walls and keep the drafts at bay as well. I’m confident in my ventilation currently as there’s also 2 windows (south and north wall) I can open and leave open if needed in the summer.

Last edited:
I’m not well versed in the spray foam area unfortunately but my father is and he will be doing the application, not me
Neither am I, except my daughter had it done when she built her tiny house...it goes in gloppy/bumpy and has to be shaved/trimmed off level with surface(s) sheathing attaches to. She hired a pro because they had the gear and expertise.
Sounds like your dad should be able to answer your questions.

Neither am I, except my daughter had it done when she built her tiny house...it goes in gloppy/bumpy and has to be shaved/trimmed off level with surface(s) sheathing attaches to. She hired a pro because they had the gear and expertise.
Sounds like your dad should be able to answer your questions.
He’s seemed confident enough when we talked about it. I can look up videos and what not to learn more if needed..

He’s not an expert, I’m not really sure how much experience he actually has with the stuff ... he could be bluffing for all I know ahaha he tends to say he can do stuff but it’s more of a “I can do it, but I don’t actually know how.” :gig

Here are some inside photos of the big coop and a poor photo of the little one sorry about that

Attachments

• 1E03852E-03E4-49A6-A2C7-960C82B24527.jpeg
    1E03852E-03E4-49A6-A2C7-960C82B24527.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 19
  • CA4E835E-8092-477A-BAF7-73D51805EDCE.jpeg
    CA4E835E-8092-477A-BAF7-73D51805EDCE.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 6CCC9053-DAB8-4A0C-9963-0472A291F951.jpeg
    6CCC9053-DAB8-4A0C-9963-0472A291F951.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 20
  • 0B011BC6-534F-43B6-BE85-6D1CD332D011.jpeg
    0B011BC6-534F-43B6-BE85-6D1CD332D011.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 19
Agree with @aart ...if they can get to the spray foam at all they will eat it...

I found that out the hard way with some of the gap filler type. We had it sprayed where the heat pump comes in and out of the foundation...and the girls have eaten it all the way back to where they can't reach. On the plus side...they are still alive.:idunno

“I can do it, but I don’t actually know how.” :gig
:lau
Oh, one of those guys!
It would probably be easier/simpler to use foam sheets.
You'd have to research to see if it would be cheaper.
(I'll ask my daughter if she remember the numbers)
I don't recall seeing anyone here use the spray in foam.

Agree with @aart ...if they can get to the spray foam at all they will eat it...
Got that covered ;)
I have white polycarbonate sheets I’m going to be lining the inside of the coop with as interior walls.

I found that out the hard way with some of the gap filler type. We had it sprayed where the heat pump comes in and out of the foundation...and the girls have eaten it all the way back to where they can't reach. On the plus side...they are still alive.:idunno
I’ve seen mine carrying around some stuff they peel off from around the basement windows.. it’s very hard to get a piece of silicone away from chickens when they find that stuff too. They love peeling caulking from the different windows and such we have on the one side of the house as well.. darn chickens :clap thank you!!

:lau
Oh, one of those guys!
It would probably be easier/simpler to use foam sheets.
You'd have to research to see if it would be cheaper.
(I'll ask my daughter if she remember the numbers)
I don't recall seeing anyone here use the spray in foam.
From what I looked into the spray, it’s 800$ (CAD) for 600 board feet at a few inches thick I believe? I’m not sure what brand that was or what it offered for quality as my father had told me that price when he had been online looking before he went away for the weekend. I’m hoping to have it all planned out for when he gets back :gig

I’d have to look into the sheets more for their price. I had someone else bring up using them to me as well when I talked to him about it. He doesn’t insulate his but it’s also in the bush built around a tree. Mine stands next to another shed but gets a lot of wind against it and going through it when it’s blowing right.

It’ll be a lot of cutting for the sheets if I were to use them I’d think? The little coop has some interesting roof angles. Is there a downside to having to cut the sheets? What kind of waste could I expect?

Thank you so much aart! You’ve always got the best advice from what I’ve read on here :wee

Back
Top Bottom