Spray Millet for 3 1/2 week olds?

CrazyBirdLady21

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Hi!

My mom works at Petsmart, so we get a discount
lol.png
I was talking to one of the pet care managers and they told me that I can give my chicks spray millet every few days as a treat. They love the stuff, and have been doing fine since I started feeding it to them. I hope its okay, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks!

Um, in moderation it will be fine, but if you're feeding them seeds, grains, and so forth, such as millet, you need to give them some crushed oyster shell or bird grit/gravel. At this age, they're pretty small, so pick up a box of the size that's good for parakeets or finches, as the regular stuff sold for poultry at the feed store is probably still kind of big for them. They need the grit in their crop to help digest seeds. Their primary food at this age still should be Startena or the equivalent grower mash formula, but you can supplement/augment with various treats as long as you don't overdo it.

If you want to give them a real treat, and have some fun watching them, pick up a bag of crickets and throw those in there. Good for a laugh or two (well, not for the crickets!)

Last edited:
If you get parakeet gravel, be sure it is the kind that doesn't have added calcium -- not good for them until POL.

Quote:

What I have is the millet that is still on the stem, and I says its for parakeets and other pet birds. Is there any particular size grit that I need? I haven't really had experience with it yet (first batch of chicks). I was also thinking of crickets, just which size should I get?

Most feed stores (but not Petsmart) have chick grit. DO NOT give oyster shell or any grit with added calcium/calcium carbonate. They are too young for that until they are at point of lay.

You might want to remove the seed pods from the stems before giving it to the chicks. Mine have enjoyed millet from two weeks old on, but with my first batch of chicks I had a problem with some little piggie chicks trying to swallow the stem itself.

Ok I'll see about the grit. Hahaha they haven't tried eating the stem yet. I won't put anymore in there 'til I buy some grit. Thanks you guys!
clap.gif

RE what size cricket: Standard small crickets from the pet store will be the right size for such little chicks. My first 18 chicks (who lived at summer camp during their 6 week to 14 week stages) loved when we fed them grasshoppers. One of the campers discovered if you pull the legs off the gigantic two-bite size grasshoppers the chicks could handle the rest. Ants were not such a hit, but flies and spiders were also appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom