spray-painting the coop roof... will it hurt the chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by macmama, Jun 14, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    So my coop is made out of an old playhouse, and the roof is faded and cracked and desperately needs a new coat of paint. I bought some spray-paint for plastic, but then I wondered if it would be safe for the chickens. I had a cockateil growing up and I seem to remember that birds were really sensitive to toxic sprays.

A little more info in case it helps...

The roof is about 4' by 10'. The run is 15'X15" but I could close all the chickens out in my yard while I do it EXCEPT I have a mama sitting on eggs about 10 feet from the coop that I wouldn't be able to move.

It is HOT here today-- haven't checked the weather but I'm guessing 110 so it will be dry almost instantly and I'm only planning on doing a light coat.

I'm also planning on using posterboard so there won't be any overspray... however I can't do anything about the fumes.

What do you think?

2. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    If you are doing a light coat, try putting a fan blowing the opposite direction of the broody. it shouldn't hurt her with just a small amount of fumes though. When i had my little babies, they were in the same barn as the tractor. started the tractor up and nothing fazed them. It was a 4 sided buildin with a door. Just opened the door. I didn't have the tractor up real heavy so there was proabably as much gas fumes as there will be paint fumes. They should be just fine. Good Luck

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I wouldn't worry about it. You're outdoors, and it will evaporate quickly.

In fact, you might want to wait until it's cooler
    110 is really TOO hot to be on a roof

4. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:It's only 5' tall... so I won't have to be "on" it-- but you're right, 110 is too hot for ANYTHING. I'll do it tonight when it cools down. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by