1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spray to reduce plucking of feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spies04, Nov 25, 2011.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Is there a spray that I can use on my chickens who are having their feathers plucked? The odd thing is it is not the entire group - only a select few who are getting picked on including one of my roosters. I am hoping for a homemade remedy but if something other the counter works better, I will definitely try it. thanks!!

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Blue kote is a good product...duct tape will work to protect in the meantime. I've used it on a couple hens and was pretty impressed. It will fall off on its own as the hens get dusty, just in time for new feather growth. But I read the best cure for feather picking is more room, more treats, more protein, entertainment, like hanging a cabbage in the coop. They pick on that and have a ball. Reminds me to get one. lol

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    That is a great idea on the cabbage. Thank you!! I will try all of this.

4. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hey Yall, I'm gonna try the cabbage tomorrow, too I've a white leghorn Rooster named PJ and the hens keep pecking his feathers out of his butt and chest. I've tried BlueKote, and love the product. You have to apply it often, and it's purple. Everyone of my white leghorn hens have purple backs, lol. It's suppose to taste bad to the peckers, but mine have learned to love it! If I separated PJ from his girls, He would go bonkers. Anymore suggestions?

5. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    That is exactly what I am seeing too. My hens are almost obsessed with his hind feathers. I have had to lock in up so they quit chasing him. I plan to get cabbage this weekend to try. Will keep you posted on what I see.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by