Spraying chickens' feet for mites when weather is cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollyWoozle, Nov 20, 2019.

1. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Morning! I just wanted to ask some opinions please (as usual!) - I have been spraying our flock's feet quite regularly as we had a serious problem with scaly leg mites. It's hard to know if they have totally gone but feet are all looking much improved and I want to keep on top of the situation.

Time has come for me to spray them again but weather is chillier now of course. I usually spray once it gets dark and this evening will be around 3 or 4C (max 39F essentially). I know chickens do fine in much colder weather than this but do we think it's harmful or mean to leave them with wet feet in such temperatures? I think it will warm up a few degrees later in the week so I can wait if needed, I just wondered people's thoughts really. :) It will be a consideration as winter sets in anyhow.

Thanks as always for your helpful thoughts! So great to have a place to consult others. :)

CCUK likes this.
  2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    What are you spraying there feet with?

featheredplanets and CCUK like this.
  3. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    If you just lather there legs with vaseline that should be OK. Make sure to rub it fully into the scales. Repeat this every couple of days for about two weeks. That should sort them. It does take quite a long time for the scales to regrow and can look unsightly.

4. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have used Vaseline before but it's quite time-consuming to do for 15 hens by myself. I've been using Nettex Scaly Leg Remover which is easy to buy here in the UK and that seems to be doing a lovely job. It's a liquid paraffin essentially with alykl polyglycoside and comes in a spray bottle so very convenient to use.

I guess I could use Vaseline instead if I allow myself more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: