Spraying water on eggs????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digger MN, Dec 18, 2010.

1. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    I read on here someone sprayed water on the eggs when they put them in bator. Is that right????? I did hear that you did that with duck eggs but did not do that to the chicken eggs. Let me no so I no wheather to spray or not. THANK YOU

2. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    I generally don't. If the humidity is high enough you shouldn't have to spray them.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I only do it If I have to open the incubator after one has piped but before the last one hatches.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I do, I spray the eggs down at least once a week with a Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant. Almost all of my silkie chicken hatches this year have been 100%. It works for me so I do it.

5. stoneskipper2u

stoneskipper2u New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    It has been my experience to spray duck eggs with water. They need the extra humidity. Hens create humidity by self warmth, they will pluck the feather from beneath them and then the eggs lay against her naked skin. In my incubator, which is a still one. There is no fan and no turner, so I turn everything by hand at least 3 times a day, 5 times a day even better, just make sure it's odd turns you do. You do not want a egg laying on the same side night after night. I fill my water trouphs and I use a shoe string to gauge my humidity. Put one end into the water and then lay the other end on the mercury of the thermometer. I use two. When I put my duck eggs in the incy, I do not touch or turn them for the first 24-36 hours. After that I start turning the eggs. I will spray my duck eggs once daily, usually around noon time, but you only have to do this once a day. Also, for success you should cool your duck eggs off at least 5 mins a day. You can remove the eggs from the incy or just leave the top off, that one time I spray is when I cool them down. After cooling I use strictly warm water to spray the eggs each day until the last few days before hatching. You can however spray them up until the time of hatching. This makes the membrane and the shells more easy for the duckling to hatch. Keep temperature at about 101 in still incubators. I measure my eggs at the middle since that is where the embryo is growing and I keep that temperature at 99.5-100 degrees. You can vary a half degree either way. I have had success in hatching duck eggs this way. I hope this helps anyone looking for help. Thanks......

1 person likes this.
  6. stoneskipper2u

stoneskipper2u New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    I do not spray my chicken eggs while in the incubator..."not at all"

7. mandabach

mandabach Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    wait, stoneskipper, I thought you sprayed them every day? do you mean you take them out first?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by