1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spreading Disease???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DITB, May 6, 2009.

1. DITB

DITB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    hey ive recently got some chickens i keep them in a coop outside and i keep them very clean but im concerned that since they are outside i will be able to track an "outside diease" back inside to my african grey parrots....
    whats the chances of this? ya i know it makes me sound OCD....but I AM OCD [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I have a certain pair of shoes that I wear ONLY in my coops and good handwashing practices are good for everything. Shoes spread more disease than anything. I have coop shoes not because I am afraid of bringing things out of the coop but rather I am scared of taking something into the coop.

Edit: Welcome to BYC!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Aside from shoe change, we keep hand sanitizer outside by the coop for before and after entering the coop. Also for if anyone comes to visit our birds. This way we have less of possibility of getting them sick either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by