Spreading wings normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, May 25, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I swear, this raising chickens thing makes me feel like a first time mom all over again!

I have four EE and one silver laced wyandotte. All are about 5 weeks old now. I was hanging out by their little temporary pen, and they would come out of the hen house to come say hi. They would wander over, and then lay down, kind of on their sides and spreading their wings. Is this normal? The day isn't particularly hot, maybe 65. If the slightest thing spooks them, they jump up and run inside the house. A couple seconds later, they all venture out again, lather rinse, repeat. They all seem to be acting perfectly healthy, but this is my first foray into owning chickens.

Here's my best attempt at catching them in the act.

[​IMG]

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    sounds like they are just soaking up the sun to me. My chickens do the same thing. [​IMG]

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    That's what it struck me as- sunbathing.

But, like I said, I'm a worried first time chicken mom. Well, almost first time. I have three more who are about 3 weeks older than these ladies, but that still doesn't give me much experience.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yes...totally relaxed chickens. Mine will do that after a good dust bathing too. Sometimes they almost look dead... [​IMG]

5. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Quote:lol I freaked out when I saw it the first time too-then promptly posted here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by