Sprechen sie Deutcsh??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 12, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Help! Clearly I do not!!

I was sent this little note

vielen Dank, da lernt aber jernand flieBig deutsch My translating program only gets part of it...... The B in fliebig looks like no letter we really have could it be something else?

My suspicion is that they're laughing at my attempts to send them notes in translated german!! [​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That letter is pronounced just like an "s". It represents what to us would be a double s. I took four years of German in high school but darned if I remember most of it. All I can get from that statement is something about learning German.

ETA: Maybe something like somebody's busy learning German? I'm not entirely certain.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It didn't make sense when I used the bing translator.

I know a few german words - nein!, platz, hier!, braver hound, sitz, aus!, and voraus!
    (no!, down!, come!, good dog, sit!, give!, and go!)

None of that helps you, does it? Sorry [​IMG]

4. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Help! Clearly I do not!!

I was sent this little note

vielen Dank, da lernt aber jernand flieBig deutsch My translating program only gets part of it...... The B in fliebig looks like no letter we really have could it be something else?

My suspicion is that they're laughing at my attempts to send them notes in translated german!! [​IMG]

Vielen Dank = Thank you very much

Da lernt aber jernand fliessig Deutsch = You've been industriously studying German

The B in German is an Eszett or scharfes S and used as a double s in English. Modern German frequently leaves this Eszett out and now uses the double ss to make things friendlier for translation.

Hope this helps a bit!​

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    vielen Dank = thank you very much (more than just thank you). Then I would say they are commenting on the style Deutsch you are learning/responding in as opposed to Hochdeutsch (high Deutsch) or more formal/educated Dutsch. At least that what DH thinks it is.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I speak a little, 3 of 4 grandparents spoke it quite well and all of their parents spoke it fluently (Poland was under control of Germany/Austria/Russia at the time they left) so they taught me colors and numbers and some simple things: das buch = the book, die tour = the door. I picked up a little Gothic German in medieval history courses and could see words in English they resembled.

DH is mostly Germanic (1/2 German, 1/4 Blackfoot, 1/4 Austrian and perhaps a dash of Irish on his mother's side) and he knows some German. Mostly what his father used to yell at him when he was a kid. He now in turn yells at the dog in German. [​IMG]

It was great when DH and I were dating and first time I brought him home for Xmas, I told him we ate "weird food." (Polish stuff). He asked what the weird food was. "Cabbage, kielbasa, pierogi, creamed herring, rye bread ..." He just kinda nodded along and asked "So what's the weird food? That's all the stuff we used to eat at Christmas only we called it Sauerkraut, bratwurst ...."

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Vielen Dank = Thank you very much

Da lernt aber jernand fliessig Deutsch = You've been industriously studying German

The B in German is an Eszett or scharfes S and used as a double s in English. Modern German frequently leaves this Eszett out and now uses the double ss to make things friendlier for translation.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you thank you~~ Vielen Dank!!!

I am trying!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by