Spring at Glenn Cottage Eggery

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebbetzin, Feb 23, 2009.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Here in Tucson, it is Spring!! I decorated the coop to fit the season.

Here is the Welcome Bunny, I wanted a Welcome Chicken, but didn't find one.

[​IMG]

Looking north
    [​IMG]

A bit closer look

[​IMG]

Here are the girls looking at the new flowers.

[​IMG]

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I just love looking at your little coop, it makes me sigh and have wishful thinking.

Onthe other hand, my sad coop in my front yard made my property tax evaluation go down.... [​IMG]

3. Kansas Chicken Mama

Kansas Chicken Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    St. Paul
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] I just want to know how come it still looks brand new? Are the girls trained?

Orchidchick

5. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    [​IMG]
    Rebbetzin- quit teasing us with spring, we all got the fever!!!!!

6. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    You are in the desert, but I see a lot of greenery around your coop. Does it stay bearable during the hottest part of the year?

And your coop could be in a Disney movie!

7. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:Hmmm. great idea let the county man see the coop!! [​IMG] Be my luck they would find a way to up my value and taxes!!! Then the whole bribing with eggs would have to start! [​IMG] Love the coop rebbetzin seems our coop is more of a poopery than an eggery most days! [​IMG]

8. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:Funny, my favorite place on Earth as a kid was Disneyland!! I grew up in So. California, so we went there at least once a year.

I have lots of greenery!! And the water bills to prove it!! I refuse to live in the desert!! It gets in the 110+ here in the hottest part of the summer. And it takes watering every day to keep some things from croaking off!! I mulch with lots of straw, Next year I will have lots of nice compost to use as a mulch around the plants. Hopefully that will improve the soil. My soil is so alkaline, that if you pour vinegar on it, it fizzes!! It has taken many years to amend the soil to the place where I can grow anything. (It takes replacing all the native soil in my yard!)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  9. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:NOPE they are not trained, I am trained!! Every morning, I pick up the poops on the top of the sraw from under the roosts, and use a kitty pooper scooper on the sand in the run. I pick up poops at least twice a day in the run, they don't seem to make any poops in the coop during the day. They spend most of the day in a tractor that I move around in the backyard. All that straw and poop goes in the compost pile.

I figure, if I had a new puppy, or a baby, I would be either changing diapers or taking someone to the potty several times a day, so.... I can go pick up poops in the run off and on during the day. About once a month so far, I have had to scrub the front porch of the coop, and the walkway to the coop. I just use a damp cloth to dust all the trim when it gets dusty. I hose off the roof when it needs it. I don't want my neighbors to complain at all, but now the hens are being quite NOISY in the morning!! Olivia is the loudest, she has yet to lay and egg, I hate to think what she will sound like when she lays an egg!!

Of course I do have the luxury of being a "stay at home" wife.
    I just added an extra chore to my day when I got the chickens. [​IMG]

And, I use Corel Photo Paint to edit the photos, so... there might be a blob of poop in a photo, but... I take it out!! I have a great tool to edit photos!!

I have to keep up my fantasy of living in a Thomas Kinkade painting!![​IMG]

10. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:On the Morning News I saw a live report from Maine... Tons of snow!! I was thinking how odd, here it is to be over 80 degrees, I am planning on clearing out some Aloe Vera plants and transplanting them at the garden at the congregation, and there on the other side of the country, it is buried in snow!!

But.... I LOVE SNOW!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by