Spring Chick Hatch!

karimw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Eastern IA
I recently bought a Genesis 1588 incubator and I'm planning to celebrate spring by hopefully hatching chicks. I'm setting this weekend for an Equinox hatch on March 20th. Anyone else?
big_smile.png

I set the incubastor up Friday night and it is running about 99.1 and 35% humidity pretty steady. I went really overboard though. Too many for the auto turner, so I'll be hand turning until I remove the clears next weekend.

So here's what I set:
12 Lavender Ameraucanas from Crystal Creek - pretty well shaken by the USPS
hmm.png

6 Splash Cochin X EE
7 Welsummer X EE
3 Welsummer X White AM
12 EE X EE
12 AM X EE
1 BSL X EE
5 IA Blue pullet eggs

58 total
hide.gif

I encountered several days of freezing temps, so I don't doubt these will be reduced somewhat at first candle.

Quote:
A few places actually. A group of us Iowa went in together and got chicks from Ideal and Privett and I bought some young birds at a show in Iowa City. They just started laying so we are excited to see if we can revive the breed!

Quote:
Where did you get your Ameraucana eggs? I have a lot of youngsters, but I have hardly any males and the few I have seem to have some "issues" I wouldn't want to breed to:/ I have are 2 EEs and 1 purebred white rooster from last year. I'm really hoping the lavender AM eggs from CrystalCreek hatch me some boys!

A few places actually. A group of us Iowa went in together and got chicks from Ideal and Privett and I bought some young birds at a show in Iowa City. They just started laying so we are excited to see if we can revive the breed!

If you are successful I would be very interested in either some eggs or chicks.​

Quote:
Where did you get your Ameraucana eggs? I have a lot of youngsters, but I have hardly any males and the few I have seem to have some "issues" I wouldn't want to breed to:/ I have are 2 EEs and 1 purebred white rooster from last year. I'm really hoping the lavender AM eggs from CrystalCreek hatch me some boys!

I got my first set of eggs from Sgtmom52 here on BYC and I'm getting my second set from 6littlechickies who is also here on BYC.
big_smile.png

Quote:
If you are successful I would be very interested in either some eggs or chicks.

Sure! I did a quick check of a couple last night and I believe I see veins! I only have 2 or 3 laying right now, but I have 11 pullets total so they should be going good in a month or so.

Quote:

I got my first set of eggs from Sgtmom52 here on BYC and I'm getting my second set from 6littlechickies who is also here on BYC.
big_smile.png

I love my AMs. I hope you have a good hatch!

Back
Top Bottom