Spring Chick Hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karimw, Feb 24, 2011.

1. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I recently bought a Genesis 1588 incubator and I'm planning to celebrate spring by hopefully hatching chicks. I'm setting this weekend for an Equinox hatch on March 20th. Anyone else? [​IMG]

2. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I set the incubastor up Friday night and it is running about 99.1 and 35% humidity pretty steady. I went really overboard though. Too many for the auto turner, so I'll be hand turning until I remove the clears next weekend.

So here's what I set:
    12 Lavender Ameraucanas from Crystal Creek - pretty well shaken by the USPS [​IMG]
    6 Splash Cochin X EE
    7 Welsummer X EE
    3 Welsummer X White AM
    12 EE X EE
    12 AM X EE
    1 BSL X EE
    5 IA Blue pullet eggs

58 total [​IMG]
    I encountered several days of freezing temps, so I don't doubt these will be reduced somewhat at first candle.

3. spartman

spartman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    NE South Dakota
    Where did you get the Iowa blues from?

4. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    I set 12 Marans last week (Feb 19) and 24 BBS Ameraucanas today. Can"t wait to see what I get!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:A few places actually. A group of us Iowa went in together and got chicks from Ideal and Privett and I bought some young birds at a show in Iowa City. They just started laying so we are excited to see if we can revive the breed!

6. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:Where did you get your Ameraucana eggs? I have a lot of youngsters, but I have hardly any males and the few I have seem to have some "issues" I wouldn't want to breed to:/ I have are 2 EEs and 1 purebred white rooster from last year. I'm really hoping the lavender AM eggs from CrystalCreek hatch me some boys!

7. spartman

spartman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    NE South Dakota
    A few places actually. A group of us Iowa went in together and got chicks from Ideal and Privett and I bought some young birds at a show in Iowa City. They just started laying so we are excited to see if we can revive the breed!

If you are successful I would be very interested in either some eggs or chicks.​

8. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:Where did you get your Ameraucana eggs? I have a lot of youngsters, but I have hardly any males and the few I have seem to have some "issues" I wouldn't want to breed to:/ I have are 2 EEs and 1 purebred white rooster from last year. I'm really hoping the lavender AM eggs from CrystalCreek hatch me some boys!

I got my first set of eggs from Sgtmom52 here on BYC and I'm getting my second set from 6littlechickies who is also here on BYC. [​IMG]

9. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:If you are successful I would be very interested in either some eggs or chicks.

Sure! I did a quick check of a couple last night and I believe I see veins! I only have 2 or 3 laying right now, but I have 11 pullets total so they should be going good in a month or so.

10. karimw

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA

I got my first set of eggs from Sgtmom52 here on BYC and I'm getting my second set from 6littlechickies who is also here on BYC. [​IMG]

I love my AMs. I hope you have a good hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by