Spring Chicken to living with chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmingTucson, Oct 9, 2013.

1. FarmingTucson

FarmingTucson New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Hello All,
    I've never raised chickens before. I am hoping to get my first flock soon. I currently garden and compost, I figured I would take it up a notch and start becoming more self sufficient. Advice is more than welcome. Have a great day.

2. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from College Station, Texas. You're off to a good start in self-sufficiency with a garden and compost. Our chickens love to forage in our compost pile. My husband and I have been retired for several years now, and grown our garden, compost and now chickens. I'm vegetarian, and for 9-10 months of the year we can eat mostly from our garden and the offerings of our girls. We spend more one wine than on food these days, and we drink cheap wine. Best wishes to you.

3. dschicken

dschicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    texas
    Hi from tx. Good luck on ur new venture. Chickens are a blast.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The Learning center is a great place to start. To locate people in your area go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. You can locate and post on your state thread.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Best of luck getting started. :D
    Have you thought about what breeds you're going to get? Some are better egg layers than others, depends what you want them for. (meat or eggs) And you'll also want a coop for them, but apart from that preparation, I reckon keeping chickens is a 'tackle as you go' experience - at least for us it was!

Have fun, and I hope you find all the info you need here.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The Learning Center would be a good start. Have you looked at coops yet? There are some lovely designs in the Coops section if you'd like to build yourself one and for help with choosing a chicken breed have a browse through the Breeds section. If you are into gardening and self-sufficiency I think you will also enjoy our sister sites: www.TheEasyGarden.com and www.SufficientSelf.com Good luck with your new ventures!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You've received some good advice already good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by