1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spring Coop Cleaning Ideas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texaschickmama, Apr 18, 2008.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Okay, guys, it is that time to "deep" clean my coop. Can y'all give me some ideas on what to do and what to use. I plan on raking ground up really good, then adding playsand to fill in the gigantic holes that they bathe in. I really need some ideas on products that are safe for my girls. Thanks.

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a good question, I have something called Simple Green. Works wonders! I wouldn't mind hearing what people use to disinfect with?

Tanya

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I have some Simple Green, is it safe to use around the girls, and guy? I'm off the read the label...... [​IMG]

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i just got done cleaning my henhouse in march.an i hauled out 20 wheel barrow loads of litter or more.then i took what litter was left an spead it in the henhouse filling all the holes.now mind you i hadnt cleaned the henhouse in 4yrs.

5. spudchild

spudchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Nashville
    I use Seventh Generation. It is all natural, and clean. I then rake up the run, which usually fills the holes ok (mind you, I have Bantams..with standards the holes would be larger). I then top dress with pine straw from our white pines, which they seem to just love. It's fluffier than the wheat straw.

6. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    I hose down everything inside and out, dig out all the deep litter that's been building up, wash the window with vinegar, and check around for weak spots in the construction and make necessary repairs. I don't use any cleaners except water and elbow grease. Of course I only have 7 chickens. If I had more I might do something different.

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I used dilute bleach water for the walls,ceiling and floor before the npip inspection-let it dry all day while the birds were outside.Next time I want to try oxine if I can find it locally.My building is vinyl with a wooden floor.I change the shavings about every 2-3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by