spring fever

Jaybird14

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2014
I'm getting antsy for my quail to start laying. If i add a light source, today, get them up to 15 or so hours , when do you think i'll see eggs??

Thanks!!
Jay

They'll lay with 12 hours and, really, 14 hours is plenty. I read a study where two 15 minute periods of light 12 hours apart kept them laying. Don't just add hours of light to their day; it can mess them up. Add an hour extra light every 5-7 days until they start laying.

I'll start adding light today and keep you posted .

Thanks for the info!!!
Jay

they dropped the first two eggs yesterday. 3 weeks into "added light" my light was not very consistent
my timer went on the fritz a few days in, then the bulb burnt out. not very scientific but I'm getting eggs earlier than i should. :)

today we will get 11 hrs and 53 min of natural light.

Time to warm up the "cooker"

Good luck all and have fun!!

Jay

We have 11 hours and 45 minutes of daylight here, but my quail - buttons - are in a building with just a few, small windows, so they have been on about 9 hours of artificial light - during the usual daylight hours - all winter. They haven't been laying until within the last week - now I'm suddenly drowning in eggs, even though I only have 4 hens :D I don't even know whether to hope for them to start incubating the eggs, I'll drown in chicks rather than eggs if they do :p

First eggs in !

Back
Top Bottom